Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hot...Very, Very Hot

So...people have said that South Carolina is hot.  I tell them it doesn't seem any hotter than Kansas.  "I mean, have you ever been in a hair dryer?" I ask.  "That's Kansas."

Apparently, though, they were telling the truth.  South Carolina is less like a hair dryer and more like a steamer.  Gross.  I find myself just wishing for a breeze.  This is the first week it's been pretty hot.  The heat index will top 100 this afternoon.  I feel sorry for the people participating in the Greenwood Festival of Flowers Olympic Distance Triathlon this weekend.  It will be scorching.

Hilary and I, meanwhile, will be sweating it up at 8 am in Savannah running the FIJI 5k with projected high of a spring-like 93.

I just can't wait until it gets REALLY hot.

Anyway, I had a 60-minute run on my training plan today.  My goal was to simply go out and run at an easy pace, hydrating as often as needed, walking early as needed to ward off being completely wiped at the end, and to enjoy myself.  And that's pretty much what happened.  I walked a couple times to drink some Gatorade and get my heart rate back down to a manageable level.  Climbing the hills around here really drives my heart rate up to unsustainable levels, and I'm still building the kind of fitness that will allow me to get it back under control while running.

So, I didn't quite make my goal of 6 miles, but 5.5 will have to do for today.  For my first long run of the year, combined with the heat and a pretty tough route, I'm not at all disappointed.  Just aware that I have much to do.

And thank God for air conditioning.

No comments: