Saturday, June 14, 2008

Long Bike Ride

I decided to do my long ride lat this morning rather than waiting for tomorrow.  Today was supposed to be my off day, but since I ran the 5k, that wasn't going to happen, so I figured I'd hit the bike today for 90 minutes, and then rest tomorrow - maybe do a 30 minute easy ride to stretch the muscles, but nothing to speak of tomorrow.

So, off I went on yet-to-be-named bike wearing real live biking shorts and my tri top (both of which were part of the purchase package at Carolina Triathlon).  There is no room for modesty in bike shorts and a tri top, by the way.

It was hot and I had a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade, plus a Clif bar, to keep me happy.

This is a shot of my route:


More importantly this is the elevation chart:



As you can see, there is one long descent between miles 7ish and 12.  And then the fun starts.  Or lack of fun, depending on your perspective.  The real challenge with this ride was trying to take advantage of the descents, as the road was not very good and I found myself fighting it a lot rather than enjoying the ride.  And then really battling some tough climbs.

It was a really good lesson in gearing, and I used them all today.

Needless to say, I finished in under 90 minutes, averaging just over 17 mph.  It was a hot, tough ride after a tough run this morning, and was pretty satisfying.

I was definitely ready to be done when it was over, though...

No comments: