Thursday, June 5, 2008

How my plan works

My training plan is pretty straightforward.  As you may have noticed from my posts, the running and biking workouts (at least for now) aren't given as particular distances, but rather durations, to prepare my body for endurance.  The whole idea with this plan is to get me in shape to finish in well under the 8 hour time limit.  But nothing more fancy than that, and frankly, I'm fine with 7:59:59 if that's what happens.  Hell, even if I don't make that I'll have reason to be proud - disappointed but not crushed - as long as I make it to the starting line.

The swimming is in distance, if only to give a realistic awareness of how far I will have to swim and to provide some structure to the workouts.  A lot of it is done in interval workouts.

By July I hope to have a handle on whether the Half is a do-able distance for me.  I very much want to do that, but I need to be realistic, too.  Six months ago, getting off the couch to walk to the ice cream store across the street was a lot to ask.  If it's just going to be too aggressive, there are half-Ironmans next year and the Olympic this October that is definitely within my abilities.

Until then...just keep plugging!

No comments: