Saturday, June 14, 2008

Quick recap of the week

This week was kind of strange...kind of a mish-mash of workouts with a little traveling and an addition to the triathlon training gear.

First of all, had a pretty decent week of workouts after my long ride Monday.  Only in the pool once, but it was a very good 1200 yards.  My runs were strong - not necessarily fast, but strong.  I just felt good when I was out this week, even on my long run (6 miles in 60 minutes) on Thursday.

On Wednesday I was in Greenville, and made the big purchase - I upgraded to a road bike.  Bessie the Bike just isn't going to cut it for any sort of real training, and a good week of work led me to feel it was time to take the plunge.

I have mentioned bessie before, but this is a stock photo of a bike like Bessie:



She's a great mountain bike.  As much as I'd ever need, and she's a blast to ride on the trails in the forests and hills of South Carolina.  I look forward to many, many more years of great fun riding over rocks, around trees and through creeks.

That said, it's time to introduce the new addition to the triathlon training family, the as yet unnamed Felt z100:

Just a stock photo, but you get the idea

My new bike is very "entry-level."  In a sport where you could spend $5-10,000 on a rocket ship of a triathlon bike, I wanted to spend less than a tenth of that and get myself a reasonable road bike.  So, after doing some research I visited the excellent Carolina Triathlon store in Greenville and made the purchase.  

It's been great.

After you've spent all your training mashing the pedals on a 400 pound mountain bike, getting on a true, quality road bike has been like moving from a 1996 Bronco to a 2008 Toyota Camry.  Maybe someday we'll talk about upgrading to the Porsche equivalent, but that's a long ways - and quite a few triathlons - off.

So, my bike workouts have gotten much, much better in the last couple days.  Yippee!!!

No comments: