Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Decision Made - Olympic Time!

I've been debating for the last month whether to attempt the South Carolina Half Triathlon at the end of September, or downgrade my expectations to one of a couple international distance triathlons this fall.  After quite a bit of thought, and the experience of trying to manage the training schedule, I'm officially putting off the South Carolina Half until next year, and planning on racing at least one, if not two, international - or Olympic - distance triathlons this fall.

Considering how much I love the Summer Olympics, and that they are coming soon, it seems fitting.


I really wanted to race the Half, but the amount of training necessary for a 7-8 hour, 70.3 mile race is huge, and to be ready I would need to have an absolutely perfect training schedule between now and then.  Knowing that I have quite a bit of travel and other commitments planned over the next two months, it simply isn't going to happen.

That said, I'm going to continue a scaled-down version of the Half training plan while racing a couple Sprint-distance and then the International distance races this summer and fall. 

The "best-intentions" plan would be to return to Kansas next June for the second annual Ironman 70.3 Kansas in Lawrence - providing a great excuse to see family and friends - and then race the South Carolina Half in September.  We'll have to see if we can fit that into the schedule.


No comments: